Some weeks ago, I went on a vacation trip with my friends and left my sons in the house alone. Before leaving, I left a ton of prepared foods in the fridge but they ran out of food after a few days, so, they had to prepare the meals. When I came home, I found a new microwave has replaced my old convection oven.
Well, I surely appreciate their effort to buy to buy me a new microwave, but they did not realize that it is different from the old one.
It is pretty much the same scenario in the case of the husband, sons, and brothers of our house. Sometimes many women do not know the difference between these two appliances.
This is the reason, I thought about coming with this article explaining the major differences between the convection oven and microwave.
Table of Contents
If you ever had the chance to lay your hands on this beautiful piece, then you must know how efficient this oven is. The main characteristic of the convection oven is that it is generally used for baking.
When you want to grill, bake or roast something you use this type of oven. This oven uses the dry and hot air to cook the food evenly in much less time.
This oven produces heat, and the hot air is distributed evenly around the food, and it makes the process faster compared to any conventional oven.
The convection ovens cam in the year 1967 and from then, it has become an essential part of the modern household. We generally make tandoori chicken, chicken grill, kebabs, brownies, pizza, lasagna, cake bread and lots more using this oven.
If you are obsessed with making the grills and roasts, then there is nothing that can replace convection ovens in your kitchen.
As my sons broke my old convection, I am still in the grieving phase. It is one of my most favorite appliances in the kitchen.
The Pros and Cons of The Convection oven
- It cooks the food evenly: It is common for the regular conventional ovens to leave the food cold in some areas and hot in others. It is not an issue with the convection ovens. The fan inside distributes heat perfectly over the food and makes sure that the food is evenly cooked.
- It takes lesser cooking time: The fan makes it possible to cook the food in a much shorter time than usual. Suppose, it would take 30 minutes for you to make chicken grill on a conventional oven whereas, it will just take 15 to 20 minutes for the convection oven to make the roast.
- It will take less energy: As the hot air is distributed over the food evenly, you do not need high heat. Rather, you can cook the food at a minor temperature. It helps in conserving the electricity.
- You can cook more than one dish at a time: If you are preparing a meal for dinner, then you need to cook two to three items. It gets complicated with the conventional ovens. It is comfortable with the convection ovens. Are you wondering how it is possible? Well, when you put multiple dishes in the oven, it is considered as one single item by the oven. So, the food will not get ruined, and at the same time, it will be cooked amazingly.
- Problem with the dough: One of the significant issues that most of the people face with convection oven is that baking cake is impossible. The dough does not rise the way we want in the convection oven.
- They are expensive: Convection ovens are way too much expensive than that of the other ovens available on the market. Along with this, these are very fragile. The fan inside the oven needs maintenance on a daily basis.
Now let’s talk about the microwave and how it is different from the convection oven. The microwave is the most common kitchen appliance, and I guess there is no home which does not have a microwave these days.
The microwaves use radio-frequency for heating the water and fats and then cook the food from the inside. The waves cause the molecules of the food to start vibrating and then, the temperature rises.
The microwave oven is not precisely an oven, to be honest. It is commonly used for reheating the foods that have been prepared earlier, but you do not cook food in a microwave. If you are trying to cook the food using the microwave, then you are doing it wrong.
The good thing about microwave is the using of microwaves very simple and even your 5-year-old kid can learn to operate it. Do not let her or him do it because it can be dangerous.
It works very fast, and you can even defrost foods with the help of the microwave. The microwave oven is also known to consume less energy than any other oven available on the market.
The use of the microwave oven was started in the year 1930, but it was commercially available for the general people from the starting of the year 1947. Within a concise time, it became one of the favorite kitchen appliances.
Although it does not cook food, the life of people got fastened with the help of this product. Along with their cooking style, the eating habits were also changed due to this oven.
Like I said above, this appliance is great for reheating the prepared meals, but it is also great for making half cooked meals like pasta macaroni, popcorn, tea, coffee, boiling water, heating milk and cooking rice, etc.
I do not like reheating the food again and again on the microwave because reheating foods decreases the taste and the foods get soggy. Instead, I prefer cooking on the stove where I have control over the food I am going to cook.
The Pros and Cons of Microwave Oven
- Space savers: One of the best reasons why most of the people choose microwaves for their kitchen is because they are a super space saver. Just install the microwave anywhere on the kitchen countertop or the cabinet, and you are good to go.
- Use less electricity: You must not know, but the microwaves use much less power than any other oven. So, if you are looking for a more straightforward solution, then microwaves are the best for you.
- Less expensive: The ovens that are used for real cooking can be very expensive whereas as microwaves used just to cook the half cooked food items or heat the foods, these are very budget friendly. If you are on a tight budget, then buy a good quality microwave from the market.
- Children friendly: Like I have already stated the microwave is very easy to use. You do not need to go through a hundred pages of a manual to start cooking with this oven. Your children can learn heat the food with the help of the microwave. Just under proper care, teach your children how to use, and you will not have to suffer with it.
- Hard to check food: When you are preparing a half-cooked food item in the microwave, you do not have any control over it. You need to open it every time to check the food again and again.
- Limited options: Unlike the convection ovens, the microwave ovens have decidedly fewer options.
It is the detailed comparison of the two types of ovens you can use in your kitchen. Both have different purposes, and you need to know which one you need before purchasing.
If you do not require a convection oven, then do not spend your dollars on it. But, if you are a kitchen-person, then go for a shiny convection oven for your kitchen.