Fishing has been in this world since the prehistoric times of Gods and Goddesses. However, unlike popular belief, fishing is not as easy as it looks. Patience is the key quality of an ideal fishing expert.
However, Fishing is one of the few hobbies that is extremely popular and common in kids and adults alike.
Why Is Fishing one of the craziest hobbies ever?
Fishing is a hobby with a lot of positive sides. Maybe that is the reason fishing is one of the hobbies people are crazy about trying. Some of these positive sides are –
- It is an immense stress reliever as it helps you relax and calm down
- It helps you bond better socially with friends and family as the waiting period for a few fishes to get hooked is long enough to start conversations with people around.
- It is a great recreational habit as it motivates you to spend time outdoors.
- Who does not love fresh food on the table at dinner time? Fishing helps you catch your fresh food.
- You learn to be patient because fish takes time to get found in the bait.
- You learn to appreciate the nature more as you wait for the fish to get hooked while looking around the peaceful and quiet surrounding.
The Top 10 Fishing Equipment For Beginners Includes
Fishing is no fun if you do not have the proper gear. From beginners to experts, everyone has different gears specifically designed based on his or her experience.
A lot of people who are willing to start fishing might have this question that what would be the basic fishing equipment needed. If you are the one looking for an answer to your question then you are probably in the right place.
Below mentioned are the top 10 equipment required for fishing for beginners. But do not restrict yourself to this list as there might be other equipment also depending on each individual’s requirements.
1. A combo of Rod, Reel, and Line
If you are a beginner, a medium quality will do. Try taking the combo as it comes with an offer and you would be able to save some bucks.
In the market you can get a lot of options but before buying it do remember that you need to think about the line weight you need and do not forget to match it with that.
You can get just some standards, but as angler evolves, it also varies according to that. Remember, it can also vary according to each moment and spot.
If you have just started getting in fly fishing then getting a standard is very useful for you.
If you are planning for small and medium-sized freshwater, then you will surely need reel which has features of holding and administering. The reel weight should be in balance with the rod.
You should not worry as this is easily done you will find that rod and reel manufacturers include this information on their products. You will need a good drag system that will enable you to stop when you are going for some bigger and stronger fish.
For every fishing situation and fly rod, you will find a line present. Weight forward works perfectly in every situation and most beginners like it.
You can find which weight you need depending on the size of the fish and wind situation.
2. Hooks and Sinkers
If you don’t have a hook, then you won’t be able to catch anything at all. So, it is mandatory for you to get a few different types of hooks which will do justice to your different base.
You can get 6 to 8 hooks which are excellent for panfish and also get few worm hooks of 3 to 4 if you are a bass fishing enthusiast.
Apart from this, there are some other requirements which are related like shot and sinkers, which will help you to keep your baits down.
3. Swivels and Bobbers
To change the baits for a beginner can be made accessible by swivels as they are great for preventing line twist and tying advanced. It is possible as they come with a snap on one end, which make this task easy.
You should have a few packs of swivels as they are beneficial. You will need bobbers if you are doing any bait fishing which is alive.
You can get many types but the best one would be traditional round plastic, or you can also get the thin or pencil style, but they seem to be a bit sensitive. Anyways, both will work fine.
4. Backing, leader, and tippet
Before heading to the casting pond or the river, it's time to get everything together once you have found your line. When fighting gigantic fish, the backing is crucial as it is always the first line is on the spool.
After this, it’s the turn of the line, and then the leader. The leader is the transparent monofilament section that follows the line. This is what is responsible for keeping the fly line away from the sights of the fishes.
The length of the leader can be changed as per one's need by adding tippet material alongside the fly attachments.
5. Wading Gear
If you are going for your first fishing catch, then it might not be necessary but if you make it a plan regularly and at a different place then you should consider Wading gear.
According to the temperature change around, the dress code should be decided. What you should wear under your boots and wading gear is dependent on the climate around you.
6. Hard baits
Some of the fish catchers are crankbaits, jerk baits, and lipless cranks. When you are looking for a hard bait bit, you should require some of this to tie.
But don’t overdo it as one two would be enough to start the activity. Consider a topwater, a shallow depth crank or stick bait, and a deep diver to cover all possible depths.
7. Inline Spinners
A bait is having rotating blades which produces flash to mimic a bait fish. An alternative to this is a spinner. Eco-Pro Tungsten is an inline spinner which is good and come in sizes small enough suitable for panfish.
It is also fitted for the giant ones as it is intended for the same. There should not be any tackle bow with one or two spinners.
8. Soft Plastics
If you are not getting any other artificial things, then try to get some soft plastics. As plastic is deadly for fish, use it wisely and do not harm our water creatures.
A good jig can be selected from a well round tackle box. You should have a variety of jigs available to you so that you can tackle any situation effectively no matter what is the conditions.
Once you have pliers, you can get some more fishes to catch. Needle nose plier is something you will need anytime you are fishing.
It can be quickly taken out from the mouth of the fishes. You should always keep a pair with you whenever you are in the water.
Some Essential Tips to Follow For The Beginners
- Learning how to cast the bait is necessary to catch a fish. It is crucial to land the bait within a short distance of the strike zone to lure the catch better.
- It is always best to use very inexpensive lures because as a beginner you are bound to lose quite a few of them.
- Learn about the bait you are going to use as that will help you know your position better.
- Kayaks are a great and cheap option for the beginners who want to try fishing on the water instead of the shore.
- Fishing in saltwater is different from fishing in freshwater.
- Live baits like worms and small fishes are always a better choice as lures
- Know the water temperature well before you start fishing because, during hot weather, the fishes tend to move deeper into the water while during cooler weather they are found near the surface.
- Keep tools like the tackle box, needle nose pliers, nets and ice box along.
- Always keep yourself and specifically your hands' odor free as fish are good at detecting the odd smell and thus stays away from anything that smells fishy to them.
- Windy times are great for shore fishing as fishes are closer to the shore when the breeze current is flowing towards the shoreline.
- Weed beds make an excellent spot for laying your bait if you are scrounging for fishes like Pike and Bass.
- Remember to clean up before you leave your fishing spot.
- Learn to use the best knot for your line. Tutorials are available online to help you do so.
You should have a fishing license before moving ahead for fishing. It is a necessary document you should have with you readily available. You should also have a hat.
Although various fishing hats are available in the market, there is no specific standard. You can choose the one which suits you, and you are comfortable with.
Also, get a polarised sunglasses and apply many sunscreens before you proceed for fishing. Have fun fishing with this necessary equipment and tips. Happy fishing!