Keep your hand on your heart. Can you count the heartbeat? If the rate of heartbeat is too high or too low, then you need to measure your blood pressure. Not knowing the blood pressure may cause you severe health breakdown. You need a blood pressure monitor to measure the pressure of the blood of your body. If you don’t have blood pressure monitor or you are planning to buy one, this article is for you.
Blood pressure is one of the vital sign of many indications of your body. For example, body temperature, heart rate, oxygen saturation and respiratory rate. The blood pressure increases as the heartbeat increases. You have to understand two numbers to measure blood pressure. The average blood pressure of an adult person is the systolic number less than 120, and diastolic is less than 80. You can check blood pressure either with the help of the professional or you can do yourself at home.
Physicians use a blood pressure monitor to detect any changes in the physical system of the body. The blood pressure monitor helps them to find out the necessary parameters of the body. Depending on the configuration, it can measure and shows the figures of PANI, SpO2, and the temperature of the body.
Physicians look for some of the indications to know the health condition of the patients. NIBP is one of them. It is an essential indicator of physical condition. It can notify the blood volume, peripheral vascular resistance, and heart pumping.
You can get the measurement of the blood pressure if you use automatic blood pressure monitor. Automatic non-invasive blood monitor can also keep the record of the patient’s pressure records. It can help against the problem with the manual sphygmomanometry devices. For example, measuring techniques and the ability to hear the heartbeat. The PANI automatic devices can display blood pressure on the screen intermittently. It can also pre-set interval of the measurement and helps you to save time and performing the tasks better. One of the advantages of automatic blood monitor is that it triggers the alarm when your blood pressure exceeds or drop from the average rate.
The patients of anesthesia can have the problem with blood pressure measuring. It can also cause difficulty with ongoing medication changes, plasma expander. Automatic invasive techniques offer the better precision of the blood measurement. It can also provide continuous cardiac measurements and respiratory cycles. Physicians use non-invasive blood monitor frequently because of its low risk, and it is simple to use. It is also more accurate than other blood monitor devices.
The pulse oximeters are non-invasive blood monitor device. It can also measure the percentage of the hemoglobin and the oxygen in arterial blood.
Ways of measuring blood pressure
You have plenty of options to measure your blood pressure. The advancement of technology now allows you to measure blood pressure using mobile apps. Based on where you have to use the strap there are two types of blood pressure monitor. Moreover, based on the technology there are two types of blood monitor. I will discuss all the blood pressure monitor:
Aneroid Monitor: These are a low-cost option to measure blood pressure. It is also the simple one to measure. You need to cuff your upper arm, and then you need to squeeze the bulb to find out the correct reading. You have to read from the gauge where you have to look at the pointer on the dial. The Aneroid monitor costs less than the digital monitor. It costs around $20 to $40 depending on the brands. There is a built-in stethoscope with it, so you will not have bought one separately. There is a significant drawback of this blood pressure monitor. It may give inaccurate results sometimes. Pressing the rubber bulb is hard. You need to depend on the sound of the heartbeat. So if you are hearing impaired, then it is not for you.
Digital Monitor: Digital monitors have replaced the traditional aneroid monitor. It is more comfortable than the Aneroid. The digital monitor will measure the blood pressure by cuffing a strap. The reading will appear on the small screen of the monitor. You can get the inflation in two ways. One is automatic, and another one is manual. Either way, it is suitable for hearing impaired people measure. Some of the monitors allow you to keep the record of your reading by giving you a copy of a print.
Mobile apps: Many mobile apps claims, it can measure the blood pressure. However, there are many arguments regarding the accuracy of the measurement. Measuring blood pressure requires some connection with the blood. However, can the mobile apps do that? I think, no. Moreover, one of the researches shows that mobile apps measuring are highly accurate.
How to Measure Blood Pressure
Blood pressure measurement requires some steps to follow:
- After eating you have to thirty minutes. Measuring immediately after eating may give you inaccurate readings.
- Next, you have to empty your bladder.
- Sit in calming position and don’t talk. Lean your back to the wall with uncrossed legs.
- checkLift up your left arm to the position of your heart. Place the arm on a table.
- checkWear the cuff to your left arm. You have to wrap the cuff either at upper arm or wrist. The cuff should have enough room to put the finger on.
- checkFor the aneroid monitor, put the stethoscope on your ear. Place the stethoscope disk inside cuff. Now press the rubber bulb for thirty seconds.
- checkLeave the rubber bulb after thirty seconds and read the top number and lower number.
- checkFor digital blood monitor, wrap the cuff.
- checkPress the button of the monitor. It will pump air.
- checkNext, it will show the measurement. It will show both systolic and diastolic number.
- checkThe systolic number overlaps the diastolic number. For example, 120/80.
- checkNow press the release button to exhaust all the air from the cuff.
- checkIf you want to know the accurate measurement, you can repeat the process 2 to 3 times.
Tips for Choosing Blood Pressure Monitor
According to research, every 1 of 3 Americans is having high blood pressure. Also, the most concerning fact is that it is increasing day by day.Regular blood pressure measuring provides a better disease control. Every doctor recommends you to keep a blood pressure monitor at home.American Medical Association Journal published an article recently that indicates the better forecasting about the future disease of the patients. They recommend you to keep a blood pressure monitor at you home.
Depending on the type or model of the blood monitor gives you a better chance to measure pressure accurately. You have to keep in mind the following thing when buying a blood monitor:Some of the devices measure the blood pressure by measuring the inflation of the blood. Automatic record keeping blood monitor can keep the record of the measurement consecutively. Also, you can do this by pressing a single button.Many of the devices can send your readings to the doctor directly and keeps you informed about the recommendations.
Below are the three primary aspects you should consider when buying a blood pressure monitor:
Simplicity: you should choose a monitor that is easy to use. It should allow you to cuff on the wrist or upper arm.
Accuracy: It is the most important things to look for when choosing a blood pressure monitor. Not all the devices give the accurate result. It varies from brands to brands. The blood monitor should be reliable. It means it should provide the same result if you measure the pressure within a short time. Doctors recommend buying a monitor that is approved by the Medical associations. British Hypertension Society is one of the blood monitor assessors.
Engraving: If you want to buy the digital monitor you should buy the device that can keep the record of your measurement.
You should also consider the following characteristics to ease your life:
- Size of the strap: Strap size is one of the most troublesome things to think. If the strap size is large or too small, it can give you the incorrect result.
- Screen: The next thing to keep in mind is screen size. The bigger screen size will give concise readings. The screen should be enough clear and easy to read.
- Stethoscope: Some devices come with the stethoscope, and some come without a stethoscope. You should be able to hear the heartbeat through the stethoscope. Otherwise, you will not be able to measure the blood pressure.
- Price: You should know health insurance doesn’t cover the cost of blood monitor. The amount of blood monitor varies from company to company. It ranges from $20 to $100. Manual blood monitor is less expensive than the automatic monitor.
After you buy the blood monitor requires you to conduct test measuring. You should train yourself to trust your measurement completely. You can take help of the experts, or you can search online. You can go to the nearby health professionals.
WARNING: Self-measurement of blood pressure can never replace the medical professionals.