Volleyball has been one of the most favorite sports of the people around the world. In most cases, volleyball is played in schools, high-schools, and colleges.
This sport is very exciting, and people enjoy playing it a lot. But, with the sports, another thing that comes is the injuries. This is an essential part of the games.
Hence, you need to be careful about the injuries. You cannot avoid it, but you can do one thing.
You can reduce the number of injuries by taking necessary steps. So, here are a few things that you need to know about the injuries that most players face while playing volleyball.So let’s start our today’s topic How To Prevent Volleyball Injuries
Common Volleyball Injuries
Although volleyball constitutes for a tiny percent of all the organized injuries of sports, participation in this sport is increasing and of course, with this comes the potential of getting injured.
This is because the volleyball players use their shoulders repeatedly for blocking as well as spiking.
Here, the overuse injuries of the shoulder are prevalent. Again, another common injury that occurs during most of the volleyball matches is the sprain and strain of ankle.
Along with this, the fingers injuries such as tendon tears as well as dislocation also occur.
While setting and blocking most of the players use their hands, and this is when their fingers get injured.
So, you now know what the common injuries that most of the players suffer from. Here are some proper preparations for the play that the players should take.
These few preparation steps will help the player to minimize the chance of getting injured during the game, and they will be able to play it without affecting their health in any way.
Proper Preparation for Playing Volleyball
1. Maintaining fitness: You need to be sure that you are in a good physical state before the starting of the volleyball season. You must be wondering what you can do?
Well, during the off-season you need to stick to a balanced fitness program that will help you to become fit naturally.
If you are not in shape at the starting of the season, then start increasing your daily level of activity and build back up to a better and higher level of fitness.
2.Do not forget to warm up and stretch: While playing volleyball, one of the most important things that we often forget is warming up and stretching. So, always take adequate time to warm up and stretch.
Many studies have proved that the cold muscles of the body are prone to injury.
You can start warming up with jumping jacks, then stationary cycling, walking or running in the place for 3-5 minutes. Then start stretching.
Do not go for a vigorous stretch at first. Start slowly and gently and hold each stretch motion for at least 30 seconds.
3. Now cool down and stretch: We all neglect cooling down after the practice but this is as important as warming up and stretch before the practice session. So, don’t let the busy schedule keep you away from the stretching.
Stretching right after the match helps you to reduce the soreness, and it also keeps the muscles flexible.
So, if you want to reduce your chances of injuries during the game, then it is essential to stretch right after the training as well.
4.Hydrate: Even if the dehydration is mild it can affect the performance of the athlete.
A lot of the athletes do not understand the importance of keeping oneself hydrated during the practice sessions and matches. And, therefore, they fall victim to many sports injuries.
Why does this happen? Well, during the sessions your body produces heat and produce sweats. So, if you do not take enough fluids, your body will not be able to cool down adequately.
Most of the experts recommend drinking at least 24 ounces of non-caffeinated liquids/fluids 120 minutes before the exercise.
And, do not forget to drink at least 8 ounces of water every 20 minutes during the session. You can also start the session by drinking 8 ounces of water, but this is entirely on your capability of drinking water.
So, make sure you are perfectly hydrated before, during and after the volleyball practice session/ final match.
5.Sun protection: This is the last but an essential part of preparing yourself for the upcoming volleyball matches. Well, if you are practicing outside then, it is imperative to wear at least sunscreen of SPF 15.
This will protect your skin from the harmful effect of the sun. You can also wear a hat and sunglass.
These two will give you protection from the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. You will not get tired very frequently, and the sun will not be able to bother you while playing the volleyball.
You know how you need to prepare yourself for the upcoming matches. But there are also few things that you need to keep in mind with yourself safe during the match.
Ensuring the Safety
1.Ensure the right equipment: You will be playing a volleyball match. You cannot start to go and start playing it. There are a few things that you need to keep in mind to ensure your safety during the match.
- Use the right sized knee pads for protecting the knees from injury when you dive or fall onto the court.
- Wear defensive pants because these pants are padded from knees to the hip, and these will keep you safe from the bruises and burns.
- Buy and wear such shoes that are made especially for volleyball. These shoes will offer support to the ankle and arch. This will also give you shock absorption.
- Consider wearing ankle support for preventing the ankle or foot roll over to the side.
2.Ensure a safe environment: Yes, you need to make sure the environment where you will play is safe. Here are the things that you need to check:
- There should be 23 ft. of over the head clearance in the volleyball court. An object like the lighting fixtures, portable basketball goal posts, and tree limbs should be cleared.
- If the net of the volleyball ground is supported by wires, then the wires should be covered with soft materials.
- Before starting the game, make it sure that no sharp or glass objects are lying on the floor. These can hurt the players to a great extent.
3. Focus on the learned techniques: You have been taught the techniques so that you can apply it during the match. Here are a few things that you need to know about playing safely:
- Do not grab the net for support because this can cause the net to overturn and hurt other players.
- Call the ball for reducing the chance of colliding with other players while playing.
4.Be prepared for injuries: Always keep in mind that no injury comes informing us and this is why it is essential to be prepared for it.
- Your coach should have the idea of the common injuries that the player suffers from while playing so he should arrange necessary first aid.
- There should be a doctor who will be able to give immediate treatment to the injured players. (In case of severe injuries)
- First aid should be provided for minor bruises and cuts. (In case of minor injuries)
Sports give us entertainment but to some sports mean life. However, you should not forget that there is nothing precious than your physique.
Do not underestimate your physique by focusing more on the training sessions. If you are injured, do whatever the physician suggests. This is the key to live a stress-free and healthy life.